The following are applicable to all registered full time or probationary students of Maktab Nasional.
- Always respect and honour the Rukun Negara practices.
- Always respect and honour the Vision and Mission of the school.
- Always respect and cooperate with the school authority headed by the Principal with the team of teachers, staff, Student Council, Prefectorial Board, Class Leaders and other leaders whom the school authority has appointed for the smooth running of the school.
- Always have mutual respect for each other.
- Students are expected to have and maintain a high moral standard at all times.
- Students must safeguard the peace and tranquility at all times in and outside the classrooms.
- Students must safeguard the good name of the school.
- Students are expected to keep the school environment clean and conducive for learning.
- Students must safeguard the properties of the school.
- All students are expected to respect and follow the laws and regulations of the country as well as the rules and regulations of the school.
- School rules and regulations apply at all times when students are within the school compound or outside when having their school related activities.
- Students must exhibit good behavior regardless where they are at all times.
- Students must always be caring, honest and sincere towards the school.
- Students must always work towards improving the academic performance and co-curriculum performance for the good of the school.
- Students must always stay away from any activity that can distort the good image of the teachers, staff, students and the school.
- Students should be polite and greet their teachers, school staffs, members of the public and officers/inspectors who are visiting the school.
- Students must be responsible towards the well being of the school and classroom.
- Students must practice positive behaviors and attitudes.
- Students must show character that is suitable for a student in terms of appearance, attire, behavior, attitude and speech.
- Students must always obey their religious teachings in their daily lives.
- Students must always obey orders from the principal, teachers, school staffs, security guards and prefects.
3.0 School hours are as follows:
|Monday||7.15am – 2.20pm||2.30PM – 3.30pm (Clubs)|
|Tuesday||7.15am – 2.20pm||2.30Pm – 3.30pm (Remedial Classes)|
|Wednesday||7.15am – 1.45 pm||2.00pm – 3.30pm (Sports & Games)|
|Thursday||7.15am – 2.20pm||2.30pm – 3.30pm (Uniformed Bodies)|
|Friday||7.15am – 12.05pm||-|
- Attendance in school on an official schooling day is compulsory. This includes school activities when no classes are held.
- Students absent from school without a valid reason and written consent will be given warning letters for the 1st, 2nd and 3rd offences. Subsequent absenteeism can result in a suspension from school.
- Attendance will be taken between 7:20am to 7:30am every school day and during every subject/period.
- Students who are absent must present a Medical Chit (M.C.) from the doctor (for illness) or a letter from their parents/guardian (for other reasons) and/or other documents (if applicable). Without these documents, students are considered absent without reason and disciplinary action can be taken against them. If necessary, the student’s parents/guardian will be called to school to explain about their child’s/children’s’/ward’s absence.
- Students are not allowed to go out of the school compound during school hours. If they want to leave, students must get permission from the principal/vice principal/senior assistant or duty teacher of the week by filling up a special permission slip.
- Students who need to go to the hospital/clinic must get permission from the principal/vice principal/senior assistant or duty teacher of the week by filling up a form. Immediate treatment is only given under reasonable circumstances.
- Students are not allowed to leave the class during school hours (except during recess and certain subjects). If necessary, students must get permission from the subject teacher or the class leader (if there is no teacher in class). Students who leave the class must wear the Special Pass (visible to everyone) to show that they are allowed to leave class.
- Students are not allowed to loiter in the corridors or anywhere else in the school compound without permission or valid reasons.
- Students who are late must report themselves to the school office to get a permission slip before entering their respective classes.
- Extra/Remedial classes and co-curricular activities are considered school hours and attendance is compulsory.
- Students are expected to be in their respective classes whenever a lesson is being conducted.
- Class leaders or their assistants are the authority in the classroom during the absence of a teacher.
- Students are not allowed to go to the canteen to buy refreshments outside the designated recess or break periods.
- Male Student Uniform and hairstyle.
- Female Student Uniform
- Students are only allowed to wear the school uniforms sold by the school though its agents. Only black canvas school shoes are allowed that are without stripes, patterns or logos. Any other shoes are only allowed if no shoe size is available for that particular student and with written permission from the school. Slippers and sandals are not allowed.
- Students must wear plain white socks during school hours.
- 4.5 Prefects are to dress according to the standards set by the school discipline board. Students must wear their school uniforms/co-cum t-shirts, physical education t-shirts during school hours and during school visits (field trips).
- Students must wear a complete school uniform neatly.
- Students are not allowed to wear uniforms which are too tight, too short, thin (material) and/or modified.
- Name tags and badges must be worn during school hours and during school visits (field trips). Badges must be worn on the left breast pocket of the uniform. The name tag must be worn on the left breast, on top of the shirt pocket.
- Students are allowed to wear a belt. The conditions are:
- Colour: Black
- Material: Canvas, no leather
- Width: 2.5cm – 3.0cm
- Buckle: Same size as the belt width.
- Students are not allowed to use makeup, wear jewelries (bangles, bracelets, rings, etc.), ornaments and/or bring expensive items to school. Male students are not allowed to wear earrings. Female students are only allowed to wear one earring for each ear. The size of the earring must not exceed 2.0mm in diameter and the design must be a ‘dot’ shape.
- Students are not allowed to bring and/or wear sunglasses and/or spectacles with odd shapes and designs. Caps and hats are not allowed.
- Students are not allowed to amend or alter their school uniforms in anyway.
- During physical education classes, students are to wear their physical education shirt according to their respective sports house (red, blue or yellow) with black or dark blue pants/track bottom.
- Students are to wear their E.C.A. shirts on Wednesdays.
- Students are to wear their uniform body’s t-shirt or uniform during the co-curriculum session on Thursdays.
- Male students are not allowed to keep long sideburns, mustache and beard.
- Female students’ hair which passes the shoulder line is to be tied with a black or dark blue ribbon or hair band. The hair must not cover the eyes.
- Male and female students are not allowed to use gel and/or dye their hair.
- Hair which cannot be tied is to be clipped with a hair clip which is either black or dark blue in colour.
- Students are not allowed to cut/trim their eyebrows.
- Students are not allowed to cut their hair according to fashion such as punk, ponytails (boys), skin cut and so on.
- Students are not allowed to keep long fingernails and polish their fingernails. Long fingernails refer to nails exceeding 1mm.
- All students must pay their school fees upon registration or during specified time determined by the school.
- Examination fees for public examinations must be paid by students taking the exam before or by a fixed due date.
- All payments of fees must be handed to the school cashier and an official receipt must be obtained as a proof of payment.
- The Form Teacher and/or Teacher Advisors for co-curricular activities may from time to time collect fees for the smooth running of the classrooms and co-curricular activities.
- The school reserves the right to withhold the school examination results or public examination results or school leaving certificate or suspend a student if outstanding school fees are not settled within a reasonable time-frame determined by the school.
- Students who damage, lose or conspire to damage any school property are required to pay for the damaged item at the cost price to replace the damaged or lost property.
- School properties cannot be used without permission from the teachers, senior assistants or the principal.
- Students are not allowed to vandalize the school properties. If they are found doing so, they are to restore the vandalized property to its original state at their own expenses.
- Students must be responsible to take care of the school property at all times. Students who see other students vandalizing school property must immediately report to the teachers.
- Students must be responsible towards the cleanliness, neatness and safety of their assigned classrooms.
- Students are not allowed to move table, chairs and other items belonging to one class to another class without permission from the teacher.
- Students are not allowed to scribble on the whiteboard. Students are only allowed to write on the whiteboard with permission from the teacher in class. The whiteboard must be clean when not in use.
- Students are not allowed to vandalize their classroom.
- Students are not allowed to leave the classroom during change of lesson (between lessons) without permission from the class leader or the prefects.
- Students are not allowed to eat or drink (other than water) inside the classrooms, laboratories or workshops.
- Students are not allowed to be inside the classrooms during recess or break periods.
- Students are not allowed to use the above mentioned rooms without permission and supervision from teachers.
- Students are not allowed to use any equipments/materials which are in the above mentioned rooms without permission and supervision from the teachers.
- Students must practice safety when handling any equipment/material.
- Students are to report to the teacher who is supervising them in the event of damage and/or loss of any equipment and/or material.
- Students are not allowed to bring any equipment and/or materials out of the above mentioned rooms without the permission from the teachers.
- Students are to replace damaged equipment if they lose or damage the equipment
- Students are expected to know and follow the rules which are set in the library when they are in the library.
- Students are not allowed to bring bags, books, food and drinks into the library. These items are to be placed in the allocated location in the library.
- Students are not allowed to bring any books, magazines and/or newspapers out of the library without the permission from the librarian.
- Students are expected to fully utilize the school library for academic purposes. Therefore, students are not allowed to make noise in the library.
- Students are not allowed to be in the library during lessons unless with written permission from the subject teacher concerned.
- Students are not allowed to enter or loiter inside the staff room and/or school office without any official/important business.
- Students are not allowed to throw food waste, paper and rubbish into the toilet. These items are to be thrown into the dustbin.
- Students are expected to use the toilets properly. This includes turning of the toilet lights when not in use, flushing the toilet after use and turning off the water tap after use.
- Students are not allowed to vandalize the school toilet or play inside the toilet.
- Students are not allowed to use the toilets allocated for teachers.
- Students are to use the school field/court for specified sports. Example, the school basketball court is only meant for basketball only and not for football or futsal (indoor football).
- Students are only allowed to use these facilities during their physical education period and/or other allocated time/periods.
- Students are to use the school sports equipments properly and handle them with care.
- Students are to obtain permission from the teacher in-charge before using any of the school sports equipments.
- Students are to return all school sports equipments after they are done using them.
- If the sports equipment is damaged or lost by the student, he/she/they have to replace that particular equipment at his/her/their own expense.
- Students are allowed to go to the canteen and buy items during recess time, before and after school.
- Students are to line up in an orderly manner when purchasing their food and/or drinks from the canteen.
- Students are to help maintain the cleanness of the school canteen by placing their used plates/bowls, spoon and fork in to allocated places.
- Students are to dispose of all used wrappers, drink containers, food containers in the rubbish bins provided.
- Students are not allowed to bring any canteen food and/or drinks to the first floor and above.
- Students are to go back to their respective classes when the bell (siren) is sounded.
- Stealing from the canteen will result in severe disciplinary action towards the student/students.
- Students are allowed to use the public pay phones in school but if these are out of service, students may use the office phones with permission.
- Student will be charged accordingly for the use of the office phone.
- Students must do their best in achieving excellence in their co-curricular activities.
- It is compulsory for all students to choose three co-curricular activities i.e. one sports, one club and one uniform body and it is compulsory to attend.
- Students must be punctual for their co-curricular activities.
- Students are to assemble at the Co-Cum Centre for school assembly at 7:15am on Mondays.
- Students are to wear their neckties during the Monday assembly and throughout the day.
- Prefects, Class Leaders are to put on their blazers for the Monday assembly.
- All students are to sing the national anthem, state anthem and school rally with patriotism and full of spirit.
- Students are to pay attention to all announcements made during the assembly.
- Students are not allowed to make noise during the assembly.
- Students who do not attend assembly on purpose will face disciplinary actions.
- After assembly, students will be inspected by their class teacher assisted by prefects. After inspection, students are to go back to their respective classes in an orderly manner unless they do not pass the inspection or are asked to stay back after assembly
- Students’ attendance for all tests/assessments/examinations is compulsory.
- Only students with valid Medical Chit (MC) from a doctor to prove that he/she was ill during the examination can be exempted and a re-sit paper can be taken at time set by the school examination unit. Exemption can be granted for any other reasons only by the school Principal.
- All students must be seated in the examination room/hall 15 minutes before the exam is due to commence. Students who are late by more than 20 minutes after the exam has already started can be barred from taking the exam.
- All students must wear the proper attire during examination. Students who wear attire other than the school uniform and shoes can be barred from the examination room/hall.
- All students must come to the examination room/hall in proper hairstyles. Students who come to school in hairstyles that contravene the school rules can be barred from the examination room/hall.
- Students are not allowed to leave the exam room/hall during the first 30 minutes of the exam and the last 10 minutes of the exam.
- Students are not allowed to bring any pencil cases, water bottles (except clear mineral water bottles), books, papers, notes, telephones or any electronic devices and jackets/sweaters into the exam room/hall. Calculators are only allowed for subjects that require them.
- Students are not allowed to write anything on the walls and table tops. The invigilators have the right to withhold the distribution of the exam question papers until the walls and table tops are clean.
- Students who are caught cheating during the exam will receive zero marks for that paper and disciplinary action can be taken against the students.
- Students who are caught assisting others to cheat will receive zero marks for that paper and disciplinary action can be taken against the students.
- Students must sit in the designated places determined by the form teacher. The invigilators have the right to withhold the distribution of the exam question papers until the students return to the designated places.
- Students are not allowed to talk, eat or sleep during an examination.
- Students who are taking their Malaysian Public examinations are to follow the examination rules set by the Examination Board of Malaysia (Lembaga Peperiksaan Malaysia).
- Forging of signature and/or marks in the report card is a serious offence.
- Students are to be punctual for their examinations. Students who are late must first report to the school office to obtain permission to take that test/examination.
- Students are prohibited to drive a car or ride a motorcycle to school.
- Students with driving licenses are to park their vehicles outside the school compound at their own risks.
- The school security personnel have the authority to bar entry to any vehicles or persons at the main school entrances at any time.
- The school security personnel have the authority to bar students from leaving the school premises during school hours if they do not possess written permission from the school to leave.
- Parents/guardians are not permitted to take students out of the school compound without informing the school authorities.
- Students who are in the school compound are to follow the fire drill and other emergency drills with obedience and are expected to follow every instruction given to them.
- Students are not allowed to play with fire extinguishing equipments including water hoses in the school compound.
- Students are to report to the principal or teachers if they spot any sign of fire in the school building.
- In case of fire, students are to evacuate the building as quickly as possible in an orderly manner to the school field. Once they have reached the field, students are to line up according to their class so that their respective class teachers can take their attendance there. This will be cross-referenced with the attendance taken earlier on (same day) to identify whether any students are missing.
- Students are to report to the principal or any of the teacher is they see anyone suspicious people entering the school compound.
- All visitors (including ex-students) must report themselves to the school office to obtain permission from the school authorities before going to other parts of the school building.
- Any visits/field trips/camps organized by the school are considered as school official functions and school days. Students who wish to join must get written consent from their parents/guardian and permission from the principal. All school trips must be approved by the State Education Department according to the guidelines specified.
- Participants of the trip must follow the rules set by the school and the organizers/facilitators throughout the trip.
- No visitors or outsiders are allowed to join or participate in the school trips/visits/camps without the permission from the principal or the senior assistants.
- Each trip outside school must be insured.
- Although the school authorities will strive to ensure the safety of the participating students, the school and its principal, assistants, teachers and staff cannot be held liable for any untoward incidents beyond their control.
- Students are not allowed to take part in any political activities besides those organized by the school for Student Council election.
- Students are not allowed to insult, mock and dishonor the good name of the principal, assistant principal, teachers and school staffs in public in any way including through the social media/networks.
- Students are not allowed to be in the following areas without permission:
- Teachers’ car park
- Inside the principal’s office or the offices of the assistants
- School administration office
- Staff room
- Science Labs
- K.H. Labs
- And other rooms not in use
- Students are not allowed to enter the school compound during school holidays unless they have permission from the school or if they are attending special activities organized by the teachers or the school.
- Students are not allowed to buy and/or sell lottery tickets or host any games with the objective of profiting or distribution of money and/or gifts by gambling, luck and other methods.
- Students are not allowed to posses, buy, view, sell and/or distribute pornographic materials as this is a serious offence. Those students who are caught doing so will face severe disciplinary actions.
- Students are not allowed to bring mobile phones to school. Students who are caught with and/or using mobile phones will face disciplinary actions and the mobile phone will be confiscated. Confiscated hand phone can only be claimed by parents three months after the date of confiscation with a letter of guarantee from the parents/guardian. If the student concerned repeats the offence after signing the letter of guarantee the confiscated mobile phone will not be returned to the student concerned and the school reserved the right to take further disciplinary action.
- Students are only allowed to bring mobile phones to school with written permission from the principal and they have to surrender the phone in the school office before entering the class.
- Students are also not allowed to:
- Use foul languages
- Disrespect teacher, prefects, other students and members of the public
- Sleep in class
- Be late arriving in school
- Spit in public
- Consume alcohol
- Visit and/or patronize bars, pubs, massage parlors and cyber cafés
- Disrespect the national anthem, state anthem and the school rally
- Embarrass other students
- Lie and cheat others
- Change and alter test/examination marks
- Vandalize school and public property
- Vandalize principal’s, teachers’, school staffs’, prefects’ and other students’ possessions
- Be rude towards teachers
- Bully other students
- Kiss or hug each other
- Date each other
- Draw pictures and write words with themes of pornography
- Threaten other students, teachers, school staffs and the principal
- Be involve and/or consume drugs
- Be part of secret societies
- Assault teachers, principal, school staffs and other students
- Bring and/or keep weapons and explosives
- Molest/sexually harass/mentally harass other students
- Disturb the peaceful environment of the school
- Accuse others and bring out sensitive issues such as issues regarding race and religion
- To do other unlisted negative behaviors
- Students who disobey the rules and regulations of the school are guilty for the offences that they committed will face disciplinary actions and be punished and/or fined according to the severity of the offence.
- All teachers can take disciplinary action towards students for minor offences and major offences will be dealt with by the Board of Discipline.
- All offence that a student commit will be recorded in his/her Merit and Demerit Record.
- Minor offences (such as coming late to school) which are repeated several time will be considered as a serious offence.
- The following items are not allowed in school compound without permission from the school authorities
- Comic books, magazines and playing cards which are considered not suitable.
- MP3/MP4 players, radio devices, digital media players, digital and conventional cameras, electronic games, board games and other similar items.
- Mobile phones, computer notebooks, computer tablets etc.
- Chewing gum
- Musical instruments
- Sports equipments (including balls, bats, sticks, racquets)
- Swiss knives, razors, lighter, firecrackers and other dangerous items
- Cigarettes, prohibited drugs (unless prescribed) and alcohol
- Other items not listed here which are considered illegal, dangerous and harmful
|OFFENCE/S||TYPE OF OFFENCE/S||EXPLANATION/S|
|NOTICE OF REMINDER/WARNING||Students who commit minor offences repeatedly not more than 3 times||1. Rectifying the offence/s (served as their lesson)
2. Notice Of Offence
|FINAL WARNING LETTER||1. Students who have committed a minor offence more than 3 times|
2. Students who commit a serious offence
|1. Notice Of Offence: Final Warning
2. Letter Of Agreement and Parent Consent (First)
|DEFINITE SUSPENSION||1. After a student has breeched the agreement or a promise with the school |
2. After a student has committed a serious offence
3. Students who are waiting for the outcome of investigation on offence committed
|1. Letter Of Notification Of Definite Suspension and
2. Letter Of Agreement and Parent Consent (Final)
|INDEFINITE SUSPENSION / EXPULSION||1. After a student has signed the final agreement with the school|
2. After a student has committed a very serious offence
3. After a student has played truant for 14 consecutive days or 20 days not in total after receiving a Letter Of Notification of Absence From School
|1. Letter Of Notification Of Indefinite Suspension and
2. Letter Of Notification Of Removal Of Name And School Records.
|OFFENCE/S||TYPE OF OFFENCE/S||EXPLANATION/S|
|INTERNAL SUSPENSION||1. When requested by parents or guardian after the student has committed an offence after the last warning|
2. Students who are not allowed to proceed to the next form in the following year because of disciplinary records which are not satisfactory
|1. Letter Of Notification
2. Letter Of Agreement and Parent Consent
|COMMUNITY WORK||Minor Offence||Letter Of Notification Of Work Schedule|
|FINE FOR COST OF VANDALIZED SCHOOL AR/AND STUDENT PROPERTIES||1. Vandalizing school property|
2. Vandalizing one’s property within the School compound on purpose
|Letter Of Notification of Fine/ Cost|
|1. Student commits an offence (minor/major offence)|
|2. Student is given advice. Warning (recorded).|
|3. Minor offence is repeated: Student is warned second time and parents informed (by letter) by the form teacher.|
|4. Has the minor offence been repeated for a third time?
|5. Given last warning and parents are called in. (all last warning applied to ‘Very Serious Offences’)|
|6. Repetition of offence (Major Offence): School Disciplinary Board will have a meeting with school Principal or a representative.
|8. Student is suspended, only after the board has decided accordingly)
|9. Repetition for last time (Major Offence) : Disciplinary Board will have a meeting.|
|10. Student is suspended indefinitely / expulsion.|
|11. Action of Sabah Ministry of Education.|
- Punishments are carried out by Discipline Master or other teachers given the authority other than the Principal or Vice Principal.
- The Disciplinary Board has the right to void/discontinue any punishment which is deemed inappropriate and not stated in the Rule Book and rules of the school.
- All kinds of punishments can be applied immediately by the school. For example, a student who has dyed hair or long hair (for boys) after a third warning will be issued a letter, and the school will not allow the student to enter the class unless he/she has hair dyed black or its natural colour or cut short.
A. SELF CLEANLINESS
- Long hair (boys)
- Long or coloured nails.
- Ponytail (boys)
- Messy hair
- Dyed hair
- No uniform
- Uniform not complete (no school badge, socks, buttons)
- Dirty and coloured clothes
- Using a different badge or logo
- Inappropriate belt
- Inappropriate footwear
- Inappropriate socks or no socks
- Leaving class without permission
- Leaving school compound without permission
- Absent from school co-curriculum activities
- Refusal to meet Principal, teachers after being called
ATTITUDE TOWARDS ACADEMIC STUDIES
- Not paying attention when teacher is teaching
- Not doing/submitting homework
- Not bringing books
- Making noise or disturbing students in class
- Mark own exercise books without permission from teacher
- Not reporting an offence to teacher
- Not listening to orders
- Change the rules or any documents set by the school
- Lying, cheating
- Not respecting Principal, teachers, student leaders (prefects, class leaders, etc)
- Using foul language
- Absent from examinations
- Immodest behavior within the school compound (hugging, kissing, etc)
- Having a romantic relationship (dating) students within the school compound
- Be a part of illegal groups/gatherings in or outside of school. E.g. gangsterism
- Inciting others to hate, rage, protest or riot in or outside of school
- Bringing weapons/dangerous objects to school without permission
- Promoting racial/religious intolerance
- Hitting teachers, staff or other students
- Write to the newspapers without permission from the school
- Write negative and damaging remarks to criticize the school, staff and students in blogs, social media/networks etc.
- Post negative and damaging pictures to defame, criticize the school, staff and students in blogs, social media/networks etc.
- Deliberately damaging or stealing the property of the school, teachers or students
- Smoking, gambling and drinking alcohol
- Showing hatred, using abusive words, assaulting teachers and staff of the school
- Reading, showing, using, drawing and spreading of pornographic materials
- Threatening teachers, staff and students
- Molesting, sexually abusing teachers, staff and students
- Forging signatures
- Drug/substance abuse
- Drug/substance dealing
- Public immodesty
- Teenage sexual intercourse or pregnancy
- Committing minor/medium offences 3 times or more
|Letter||Consecutive Days||Separate days|
|First Warning||On the 3rd day||On the 10th time|
|Second warning||7 days after first warning||After another 10 days|
|Final warning||7 days after second warning||After another 20 days|
|Expulsion||14 days after final warning||After another 20 days|
|Number of days absent||31 days||60 separate days|
- The shoes that are allowed and abide the school rules as well as Ministry of Education.
- Shoes that are not allowed